Sunday, June 25, 2006

The BBC Gets It

SuicideGirls' newsfeed posts that the BBC has just launched a John Peel archive.

John Peel loved music in a way that others can only aspire to. It was part of him and it came out in his broadcasts, as well as the live performances on his show. Many of these performances have been documented over the years, and a lot of them are arguably some bands' finest releases. I think The Damned's session from 1979 might be their finest hour. Or Gang of Four's session. Or Siouxsie. The list goes on and on.

And it's been difficult to tackle this list. Until now. Our friends over at the BBC have archived all of the Peel Sessions and have made various clips and samples available for your listening and general perusal.
The Brits really know how to do music. For decades, weekly mags like NME and KERRANG were the written equivalent of today's blogosphere. As a kid in the early 80's, I can remember getting turned on to bands like Venom and Metallica not from the US press... but by the only trusted sources there were back then for metal. The fine tradition continues today with both publications making the digital jump to offer cool video podcasts and newsfeeds.

So hats off to the BBC for keeping the legacy of one of the world's most informed music fans alive for the future.

1 comment:

Wm said...

I have "the Damned" Peel session CD somewhere. I have to say, that I don't really care for it. I know what you mean, though. I like other Peel sessions EPs that I've heard (although I can't necessarily tell you the artist)